Wednesday, August 8, 2007

IrishWhipFighting Exclusive: The Girls Behind MMAGirls.net!

Here's Irish Whip Fighting, coming at you with another exclusive interview with the ever-so-popular girls of MMAGirls.net, Joanne and Lauren! Both born and raised in South Africa, both girls moved to Florida and currently attend UCF in Orlando, FL. Joanne and Lauren are best known for their incredible UFC prediction videos, found on YouTube.com, and more recently, their technique videos! Oh, and their stunning looks don't hurt either ;)

IrishWhipFighting: How did each of you get started in martial arts? Would you consider yourself more of a striker of a grappler?
Joanne: I starting watching UFC about 3 years ago. All my guy friends were really into it, and they would teach me submissions. I am definitely more of a grappler, but I am excited to start Muay Thai in the future and improve my striking.
Lauren: My dad and little brother both trained in martial arts and that is how I initially became involved. I eventually decided that it was time to start training myself. Currently, I am more of a grappler, but I also plan to start formal Muay Thai training in the very near future.

IWF:
How often do you girls train a week (hours)?
J: I train about 2-3 hours a week. I have been busy with colllege and also balancing various promotional jobs. I just graduated so I will have more time to devote to training.
L: I also train 2-3 hours during the week and sometimes a few hours over the weekend. I have a full time job as well as two ongoing promotional jobs, so my schedule gets a little crazy.

IWF: Have either of you competed in any grappling or submission tournaments (i.e.NAGA)? If so, who did you girls do?
J: We haven't competed yet. I definitely want to in the future. I need more hours grappling live to feel more comfortable to compete.
L: Not yet, but we will!

IWF: Have either of you ever considered taking your MMA skills to a professional level and join the likes of Gina Carano, Julie Kedzie, etc.?
J: I don't know if I could compete in a pro MMA event. I'm a little girl and leg kicks hurt. I respect anyone who can handle that type of pressure.
L: Right now my career path lies in a different direction, but who knows? I admire all the female MMA fighters that have gone to the professional level.

IWF: If not, have you ever thought about trying out to be the next UFC, WEC, or IFL ring-girl?
J: No. Those girls are gorgeous, but that's just not for me.
L: I agree with Joanne. I would rather be fighting.

IWF: Have you had a chance to attend any major PPV events yet?
J: Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to attend a major event, but I have gone to a lot of local MMA events (here in Orlando, FL).
L: I have been to a lot of Florida events, but no UFC's yet. I would love to go. Anyone want to buy me a ticket?

IWF: What are some fighters you've met in the past and what were your experiences like?
J: I have only met local fighters. All the guys seem really nice.
L: I have met some of the fighters from The Ultimate Fighter TV show as well as local fighters. They are all very passionate about MMA and that's awesome.

IWF: Have you girls ever had unleash your skills in any situation or event (i.e. a party, a club, a bar, school, etc.)?
J: I have. Probably about six months or so ago I was joking around with one of my guy friends that doesn't train. He tried to shoot in on me and take me down and I got him in a guillotine in the first 10 seconds. He wasn't too happy.
L: Not that I can think of.

IWF: How do guys usually react when they find out that you two aren't your everyday college girls, as far as your martial arts experience and MMA knowledge goes?
J: Most people are shocked, especially since we look very girly. Many people who don't know about MMA confuse it with Karate and Tae Kwon Do, which really annoys me.
L: A lot of guys don't believe me. I have actually gotten a lot of my co-workers and guy friends into watching MMA fights, it's pretty cool.

IWF: Who are your all time favorite fighters? Favorite MMA fight?
J: I like GSP, Rampage, Shogun, BJ Penn, Rich Franklin, Diego Sanchez, Spencer Fisher, and Cro Cop. Clay Guida has also really impressed me in his last fight against Tyson Griffin. My favorite MMA fight is a somewhat recent one when GSP beat Matt Hughes. I lost my voice from screaming so hard. A close second would have to be when Rampage beat Liddell for the second time.
L: Liddell, GSP, Cro Cop, Michael Bisping, Franklin, Rampage and Gina Carano. A few are my favorite fights are Forrest Griffin vs. Tito Ortiz, Stephen Bonnar vs. Forrest Griffin, Rich Franklin vs. Nate Quarry, and the Tito Vs. Ken Shamrock trilogy.

IWF: Outside of training and watching MMA, what are some of your other
hobbies/interests?
J: I love watching Rugby, Cricket, and Soccer. I'm a huge rugby fan. In my free time I like to read, play the piano, play tennis, and attempt to surf (that is when I'm not falling off the board).
L: I love scuba diving, traveling, boating, hand gun shooting, water sports, and I am attempting to learn how to play golf, but I think it is too mellow for me.

IWF: Taking a look around IrishWhipFighting.com, what do you think of the site?
J: I really like it! It’s easy to navigate around.
L: Great site. It's very user friendly and has lots of cool info. I like the tabs at the top as it makes it easy for me to find what I am looking for.

You can check out these girls at their Myspace and at MMAgirls.net!

No comments: