Tuesday, August 14, 2007

IRISH WHIP EXCLUSIVE: BEN ROTHWELL

Recently IrishWhipFighting writer Doug MacEwan caught up with one of MMA’s most talented young heavyweights in Ben Rothwell. With an impressive 26-5 record including a recent streak of 12 straight victories Ben has been tearing through the IFL as a member of Pat Miletich’s Silverbacks. Known for his devastating knockout power inside the ring and as one the nicest guys in the sport once he steps out of fight mode Ben shared with Doug everything from his latest 13 second victory to his strange experience with a lady and her dog while in an elevator in Japan.

Doug MacEwan: Ben,I have heard great things about how well the IFL treats their athletes. How did you get started with them and what is your relationship like with everyone there?
Ben Rothwell: I got my start with the encouragement of Pat Miletich. He explained the team concept to me and after winning my first fight I really enjoyed the whole process. They have a great support system and all the people involved behind the scene make my life a lot easier. I wasn’t really sure what to expect at first but I can’t say enough great things about the IFL.

DM: What do you think about the team concept and how does that affect your strategy?
BR: You know once I step into the ring its still traditional MMA…you against the other guy, let the best man win. Some teams try to use a lot of strategy and line the fights up with their best guys going first, but our team is so balanced from top to bottom we really don’t care which order we fight and just let Pat put us where he wants us. The thing that is a little different and that I happen to really like is how close all the guys are and the support we all give each other.

DM: Having fought in both the ring and the cage which do you prefer?
BR: I’ve been doing both since 1999 and I actually prefer the cage because it better suits my style. Some times I feel like a caged animal because my knee and elbow strikes on the ground are so devastating, and in the IFL I can’t use that aspect of my game. I also know that fighter safety is important, so I understand why they took that part of the game out.

DM: We hear that you started fighting at 17 using a fake ID….what attracted you to the fight game at an age when most people are in high school competing in wrestling or playing football or baseball?
BR: I played football and baseball when I was younger but I really wanted to get into MMA and started training and just fell in love with it. I had no concept of ground fighting and after I got into it I thought it was amazing how technical and effective it was. I was hooked

DM: What do you enjoy most about the sport of MMA?
BR: Other than the fact that I’m really good at it and love competing, it answered that age old question of what the best martial art really is. Before MMA you had so many styles claiming they were the best, and with MMA you put each style to the test. What we all found out is that no one style is the absolute best and in a way MMA is its own style adapted from all the others to be the most effective martial art in its own right.

DM: When did you realize this was something you could turn into a career?
BR: My very first competition. I fought twice that night and won both fights. It was the greatest experience and I immediately knew this was what I wanted to do with my life. I find it pretty funny when I hear fighters complain about not being paid enough…I fought a brutal three round battle with Tim Sylvia for $250 when I was only 19. I’ve paid my dues and fought almost for free in my early days. It just goes to show how much I enjoy all of this. I fight because I love the sport and all the recognition and the money I make now is just gravy.

DM: You have accomplished quite a bit considering at 25 you are much younger than almost all the other top heavyweights out there. What are some of the goals you have for the future?
BR: My goal has always been to never stop improving and to take in as much as I can from every experience I have. This is a sport that’s constantly evolving and to stay ahead of the competition you have to be willing to learn. I know that three years ago I would not have wanted to step in the cage against the Ben Rothwell of today, and in three years from now I know I will be a much better fighter than I am today. I think that’s why you see most great champions like Fedor and Randy are a little older. I also want to leave my mark in this sport as a great champion and as long as I continue to develop as a fighter I will eventually have that opportunity.

DM: Which of your victories has been the most satisfying to you?
BR: My last fight felt really good because Krzysztof Soszynski is a really tough guy and even though I had beaten him before he was telling everyone how much he had improved from the first time we fought and that he had trained harder than he had ever trained in his life to fight me. As you know I knocked him out 13 seconds into the first round and showed everyone I am constantly improving my game as well.

DM: I know that being a fighter you have been all over the globe…what are some of the coolest places you seen and do you have any crazy stories you want to share with us?
BR: I have been fortunate enough to travel to places like Brazil, Russia and Japan and of course pretty much everywhere in the US. Being a fighter you get an opportunity to see and experience a lot and that is something I don’t take for granted. One story that I think is pretty funny took place while I was in an elevator in Tokyo with Spencer Fisher. Spencer and I standing there when a lady carrying her little dog walks in. Spencer and I were trying to talk to her and even though she really didn’t understand us she kept nodding her head and smiling at everything we said. Spencer is a pretty funny guy and starts telling the little dog that the lady was taking him home to eat him for dinner and of course the lady kept nodding and smiling and agreeing with everything he way saying. I tried not to bust out laughing but I couldn’t help it and was nearly in tears by the time we got off the elevator.

DM: You have been fighting for the IFL for about two years now and have dominated their HW division….what are the chances of seeing you seek out new competition, possibly with another organization?
BR: I really enjoy fighting for the IFL and the talent pool is constantly growing. I don’t really worry about stuff like that and I try to stay focused on improving as a fighter and everything else will take care of itself.

DM: Who are some of the fighters you look up to?
BR: I would have to say Randy Couture…he is such an amazing fighter and the fact that he is still at the top of the game at 44 is just incredible. I also have a lot of respect for GSP because he is not only a great fighter but he is great with the fans as well. I know that I try to make myself as accessible as possible for the fans and he is the same way. Of course there is also Pat Miletich who has always been someone that I look up to and I have a tremendous amount of respect for him.

DM: I know that many of the fighters will log on to websites like Sherdog to see what the fans are saying…what are some of the websites you look at from time to time?
BR: I don’t really have a lot of time but I will go on to the IFL website, MMA.tv and occasionally the Sherdog Forums.

DM: We have all heard stories of you being a great cook and that you came from a family of cooks. Do you plan on exploring this talent when your fighting days are over?
BR: Yeah I do love to cook and can cook just about anything. I make a killer sandwich and at some point in my life I would love to open up my own café.

DM: Ben, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me today, I really enjoyed this opportunity and I look forward to seeing you in action live at the IFL Grand Prix in November. Anything you want to say to your fans and everyone out there that will read this?
BR: My pleasure, I plan on putting on a great show for all the fans and its going to be a really exciting event. To all the fans out there I really appreciate all your support and don’t ever hesitate to come up and introduce yourself or ask for an autograph. The IFL fans have been great and I will continue to do everything I can to put on a great show.

No comments: