Sunday, February 17, 2008

Jake Shields Interview

Ben Zeidler recently spoke with EliteXC star Jake Shields about his big wins over Carlos Condit and Hayato Sakurai, being a fighter while having a daughter, and oh yeah, his open challenge to Georges St. Pierre.

Ben Zeidler: You were born in San Luis Obispo, California. Is that how you got involved with Liddell's SLO Kickboxing Academy?

Jake Shields: Well, I was actually born closer to the Sierras…

Ben Zeidler: Wikipedia gets me again.

JS: (Laughs) So yeah, I was born up there but I moved down to San Luis Obispo for college. I started working out at Liddell’s gym when he wasn’t well known at all.

Ben Zeidler: How'd you make the transition from wrestling and grappling tournaments to mixed martial arts?

JS: I wrestled all throughout high school and college. I was with Liddell for just a few weeks before he had me doing kickboxing and some MMA stuff. All of a sudden, I was fighting real fights.

Ben Zeidler: You're a shooto world champion. For those who don’t know what that is or what it entails, can you tell us a little bit about that?

JS: Sure, shooto is worldwide and its one of the oldest organizations out there. It’s even older than the UFC. It’s not quite MMA, but it is still a combat sport and it’s very respected in the world. I was the first American to win a shooto belt.

Ben Zeidler: You've beaten some of the biggest guys in the sport, from Carlos Condit to Hayato Sakurai. What would you call the biggest win of your career?

JS: I haven’t had it yet. I’m just getting started here and before I’m done I plan on being the best.

Ben Zeidler: Are you happy with EliteXC or would you ever consider a jump to the UFC?

JS: I mean, I’m always looking at my options and I just want to fight the best. Elite has been really good to be so I have loyalties there, but I do want to continually be upping the competition that I face.

Ben Zeidler: Do you have any upcoming fights booked?

JS: Nothing is signed yet, but I’m looking to fight in March or early April at a couple of different venues.

Ben Zeidler: Who do you want to fight?

JS: It’s sort of out of my hands, but if I could choose, I’d say GSP. He’s my number 1 pick.

Ben Zeidler: You haven't lost in over three years. What in your training is responsible for this recent success?

JS: It’s a combination of things. I just trained really hard, for starters. I never feel like I’m good enough either. I feel like I gassed in my last fight, even though I won, so I’m working on cardio. You can’t beat cardio. I’m learning new techniques, new submissions, and new things. It’s a sport where there’s always so much more to learn.

Ben Zeidler: You're still just 27 years old. Have you hit your peak?

JS: I still feel really young and I have a few years before I hit my peak. I don’t want to retire as long as I want to keep fighting.

Ben Zeidler: I’m sorry, I gotta go back to that GSP comment. How would a fight like that even happen?

JS: Hopefully, the organizations can work together to make it happen. Either I could go to the UFC or he could come here. I really want to see how we can make this work.

Ben Zeidler: You're involved with Fairtex-Gracie in SF and Tulsa Top Team. Can you tell us a little bit about those organizations?

JS: Well my main trainers run MMA programs at Fairtex. That’s kinda my own group over there. At Tulsa Top Team, it’s just some guys who train with me.

Ben Zeidler: Let’s change gears for a second. How's your daughter doing? How has life changed for you since having a child?

JS: My daughter is great but lots of work, so I’m always training but I’m trying to do fewer trips. She’s in first grade now, so it’s just cool to have a daughter.

Ben Zeidler: That’s gotta be interesting when she tells her friends parents that her dad fights for a living.

JS: Yeah, she knows I’m a fighter and she grew up watching it so to her, it’s nothing unusual. I’ve never brought her to a fight but she’s seen some jiu-jitsu tournaments. Eventually, she’ll realize that I don’t have a normal job, but it’s just what I do.

Ben Zeidler: Any sponsors you'd like to thank or websites you’d like to plug?

JS: JakeShields.com. I’d like to thank Fairtex, Stagger, Dominant, and…I know there’s more. Who else? I’m spacing on one (laughs)…they’ll be mad.

Ben Zeidler: Anything to say to your fans?

JS: Just thanks for all the support and keep watching me because I’m gonna do some big things.

1 comment:

UFC Legend said...

i dont know what this is about but i want you to go to my blog and leave some comments www.ufcnewsrack.blogspot.com